Saturday, August 23, 2008

MLL Championships, etc.

Tomorrow (Sunday, August 24) is the day of the Major League Lacrosse championship game (1 PM, ESPN2), and if you've never watched a Major League Lacrosse game, you have been missing something special. I've gotten hooked on watching lacrosse, and if you get the chance, catch the game.

A quick explanation about why I'd include the Wright Brothers in a Sports Vision blog, for those who are still wondering: 1) their approach was inspiring in the way it was so methodical, and took the best of what had been done before, and 2) they were following a dream (well, it was mostly Wilbur's dream at first.) It's very much like how I hope to approach my sports vision practice.

I've been reading Perception, Cognition, and Decision Training: the Quiet Eye in Action by Joan Vickers, PhD, of the University of Calgary, and it's astounding how much research has been done over the years in the area of gaze and eye movement analysis within sports. So much of this has been studied and thought through, mostly by people within the field of kinesiology, and yet it was not until recently that I'd even heard of this research. I'll have to go into that deeper in a future post, since it's time I retire for the night.

No comments: